Search This Blog

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Library Shelf by Mary




We are often asked to name our favorite book, and many people are able to name one specific title.  I, however, am not one of those people.  I have too many favorite books to name just one!  I have a favorite for each day, every occasion, and all the different stages of my life.  I always try to gain something from each book I read, whether it is just a great story or some specific words of wisdom or life lesson.  Nevertheless, there are some authors/illustrators that hold a special place on my bookshelf, and one of those is Catherine Rayner.

I discovered one of her books, “Augustus and His Smile,”
just by chance in looking for books on teeth and smiles for our storytime groups.  It is a treasure.  It’s the story of a tiger who awakens one day and feels as if something is missing.  He proceeds to search for what he feels is missing throughout the wonders of his world, and discovers his reflection in the water, and his missing smile.  Such a simple, elegant message and one we should all remember.  This is Catherine Rayner’s first book and it remains one of my favorites. 

Her next book is “Harris Finds His Feet,” a story about the legacy we leave and taking our own steps into the world--beautifully done.  Her other books include










 “Solomon Crocodile,” 
“Ernest the Moose Who Doesn’t Fit,” 
 















“Sylvia and Bird” 
and “The Bear Who Shared.” 
 
Her stories are about friendship, sharing, accepting, and learning.  These are important messages for us and our children to learn.  Her latest book is titled “Abigail.”  
Look for it soon in the library. 

I encourage you to bring your child and spend some time browsing the library shelves for good books to read and share.  You just never know when you will discover your favorite----just by chance.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment