Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Young Adult's for All Adults by Recilla


As I work in the library’s Teen area, I discover more and more adults browsing for something to read.  At one time I might have thought they were picking up reading materials for their children, but that is no longer the case.  Adults often are choosing books written for teens. This trend began with the Harry Potter phenomenon. Adults wanted to know what was creating so much excitement among young people, and they found they were just as entertained and engaged by the series. The Twilight series then emerged and attracted 20 and 30 somethings to Young Adult literature. 

Although YA fantasy seems to be the main attraction, there are many YA books that would be of interest to adult readers. There is mystery, historical fiction, drama, and, of course, teenage angst.  YA lit is intriguing, thought-provoking, and humorous.  Although it is not devoid of sex and language, it is usually not explicit and will be essential to the story, not just for sensationalism.

Also you will find some of your favorite adult authors such as James Patterson, Robert Parker, and John Grisham now writing YA fiction.  Every month as I read new book reviews, I discover at least one review that states the book’s author is an adult fiction writer.

I, myself, am an avid YA reader. In fact, I haven’t had an “adult” book in my hands for years.  Today’s YA books are not the teen books we grew up with.  In fact, I don’t really remember finding books written to appeal to teens when I was in junior high and high school---a fact which I am sure quelled my reading for pleasure for many years.  So why don’t you join me in the Young Adult section and discover the variety and pleasure of reading YA literature?

35 Going on 13: The Best YA for Adults 2009

Teen Books for Adults

No comments:

Post a Comment