Search This Blog

Monday, May 6, 2013

Audiobooks by Paula





I've got a secret that helps me through tough times …like when I'm trying to finish that 3rd mile around Boomer Lake or when I've got to tackle "Laundry Mountain." What is it," you ask? Audiobooks.



I love to sit down and read (that's probably why my laundry often takes on mountainous proportions) but with audiobooks, I'm able to take my story with me. Even better, if I don't let myself listen to the book except when I'm either exercising or doing housework, I find myself looking forward to my next opportunity to do those things just so I'll have a chance to find out what's going to happen next in the story. A tale with suspense or a funny story can really keep me wanting to go on and even go back for more. I loved "Where'd You Go, Bernadette" by Maria Semple which combined both humor and suspense to keep me motivated.





Another fabulous use for audiobooks is as a traveling companion. If you're on a trip with your family, audiobooks are an ideal way to share your favorite childhood books with your kids, discover new and exciting places together, or simply get a feel for what the kids are reading these days. “Winnie-the-Pooh,” “The Magic Tree House” books, “The 39 Clues,” and “The City of Ember” have been some of our favorite audiobooks, uniting our family on a journey in a way that plugging in the dvd player in the backseat never could.  




The library has a wonderful selection of audiobooks to choose from and several different formats to meet your needs. There are compact discs which are great for car trips or when everyone wants to listen to the same thing. These are available for checkout at the library. There is also a fabulous selection of digital audiobooks available for checkout with your library card through the library's webpage. These are nice to download to an mp3 player or a phone for exercise or other times when portability is a priority.

Whatever your chore or wherever you're going, audiobooks can help you get there and help you get your work done while making the task more pleasant as you go.


No comments:

Post a Comment