Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Forks over Knives by Naomi







Lately, I have particularly been drawn to any material related to health.  Recently, I watched a DVD that really made an impression on me called “Forks over Knives.” 

This film examines the claim that most if not all of the degenerative diseases that afflict humankind can be controlled or even reversed by removing animal-based foods and processed foods from one’s diet.

Let me tell you, I love eating meat and dairy products, but the evidence presented in the film was compelling considering the health crisis affecting mankind today.  For example, two out of every three people in the U.S. are overweight.  Fifty percent of us are taking at least one prescription drug.  Heart disease, stroke and cancer are the country’s three leading causes of death, even though billions of dollars are spent each year to treat and prevent these conditions.  After decades of research done by two experienced doctors, an amazingly straightforward solution has been discovered.  Food can be our medicine, specifically if it is plant-based and minimally or non-processed. 

If a diet like this sounds boring to you, it did to me, as well.  However, I decided to give it a try.  For four weeks, I was very careful to only eat plant-based, whole foods.  

 


I found that there are many satisfying and filling foods you can eat and you don’t really have to cut down on portions when you are eating food that is good for your body.  Fairly soon I noticed that I was feeling a little better and had a bit more energy.  By the end of the four weeks I had even lost a little weight! 
 

If you are interested in looking at healthy changes from a fresh perspective, come to the library and check out “Forks over Knives,” (DVD) along with its accompanying book “Forks Over Knives: the plant based way to health.”  

 



You can also find satisfying recipes in Forks over Knives--the Cookbook: over 300 recipes for plant-based eating all through the year” by Del Sroufe. 


Now that I have examined these materials, I want to know more about improving my health and how to make this work in my life. 

The next book I am going to look at is “Breaking the Food Seduction: the hidden reasons behind food cravings” by Neal Barnard, M.D
  


and “The Starch Solution” by John A. McDougall, M.D.   
McDougall’s book explains not only why plant based carbohydrates are good for but how patients have conquered life threatening illnesses such as Type 2 diabetes, arthritis and heart disease through a diet rich in starches.   


Find even more book suggestions and resources at forksoverknives.com or speak with our librarians.

No comments:

Post a Comment